Wednesday 15 March 2023

Tuesday 14 March

 A day of 2 distinct seasons, starting with snow, hail and sleet going on to finish in glorious sunshine!

Yesterday when I was leaving the house in Port Wemyss around 10am, a huge flock of barnacle geese were overhead heading inland and north to Loch Indaal. As I drove around to Portnahaven a WTE was being harassed by the gulls. Coincidence...?

Up at the croft a pair of chough were feeding at the bay, this makes 4 round 'my' area as there were an other 2 down by the village.  The Oystercatcher numbers have been growing and I stopped to check for the flagged ringed TTE from last year who was in the fields with its young with sheep wool wrapped around its tags and hobbling it legs. I was delighted to see him/her in the field with a large flock, no wool in sight!  Though I never heard back, I am understand there is a ringing project in Dublin bay.

George reported bullfinch and greenfinch on his feeders. The first since last autumn.  Dave report a purple sandpiper at Bruichladdich, Peter located 2 woodcock at Loch Allan, while James had a golden eagle at Ardnave while at Gruinart a WTE, 4 little egret and a few lesser black-backs.


Todays photo from John Speirs who was over on Islay with Argyll Bird Club.  It shows a WTE with a deformed beak.  There is an other with a radio tag who was caught in a malnourished state, so this presumably makes 2.  I had a budgie like this once.  Somehow I dont think I would manage to clip this ones beak armed with a towel and a pair of nail clippers!  It's made it this far though I imagine the winter is easier with a supply of carrion.   Here's hoping it continues into adult hood.


No comments: