Tuesday 7 December 2010

More Tue 7th December

Well, I just logged in to put on post and I see Ian and Margaret have already posted for the day, beat me to it again!
I was in the office today thinking I must get out in the sun and see some wildlife and put on a blog post, when all the trusty Islay spotters started to report in sightings.
Yesterday Carl had lots of snipe between Port Charlotte and Bruichladdich, 2 Great northern divers showing well and a few red throated divers. George reported a goldcrest, bullfinch feeding on the willows and 10 siskins on the alder seeds in Bruichladdich, also 25 common scoter off the the pier and 7 greylags and 9 pale bellied brents on the shore. At Loch Skerrols, Peter just back from sunnier climes had a count of 45 whooper swans and 12 mute swans, (so 100 whoopers have moved on somewhere). An interesting record- is that one of the whoopers had yellow legs rather than black! He also saw 20 greenfinch and a brambling.
I did get out, and while checking the water and sheep at Kilchoman a red kite flew over resting briefly on the hill fence before flying on.

No comments: