Thursday 21 July 2022

Thursday 21 July

 An other pleasant day here on Islay, not too hot so won't complain!  I've been busy topping thistles most evenings, a job I've put off until the waders left the fields. It appeared that the lapwing, redshank and oystercatcher used the thistles as safe cover so I was loath to tackle them too soon.  However this backfired slightly as it was quite a task! Especially without a tractor. 

This morning at Claddach Loch there was a pair of white-tailed eagles.  This evening I went to check on them again, and this time spotted a fledgling with them! Only one as far as I could see but I will keep an eye out for them tomorrow.

Going into late summer, bird sightings always quieten down.  As such many a birder then turns to their back up hobby of moth trapping. Below is a photo which will appeal to some readers!



A clouded magpie, found by Billy who is proof that it pays to take your camera everywhere!  Malcolm says "fairly widespread in England and Wales, but only occurs in the SW of Scotland, with Argyll being its furthest North."  A first record for Islay. Well done Billy!

Mary

No comments: