Saturday 25 September 2021

Saturday 25th September

 It was not too bad a day for mid/late September, with little or no rain, light/moderate winds and a bit of sunshine here and there.

The only birds recorded today were from Mark Shields, relayed to me in secret code (aka British Trust for Ornithology species names). He either did it because he assumed I knew what he meant (I didn't), or simply to annoy me. Having now deciphered his message, he reports from a brief look on Loch Gruinart the following:

33 BY (Barnacle Geese); 27 GJ (Greylags); 18 GV (Grey Plovers); 14 BW (Black-tailed Godwits); 86 L (Lapwings) plus plenty of DN, SS, RP and RK. I'll let you ponder what the last 4 are and tell you tomorrow.

Just for the record I counted about 500 SG on the wires by the coastguard cottages at Machir Bay yesterday late afternoon - I'll let you work that one out from the picture below!



No comments: