Monday 27 June 2022

Monday 27th June


 Photo by Billy of a metal ringed common sandpiper in the Port Askaig area.  Sadly, unable to read the ring!  I'm still to hear back from my ringed oystercatcher at Claddach, however I am led to understand it was ringed as part of a larger project in Ireland.  Indeed in 2019 John Bowler wrote about Tirees' colour ringed oystercatchers, who appear to breed on Tiree but overwinter on Irelands' coast.  The one I saw was part of a family group with 2 fledged youngsters. Though flying, they cannot have come too far.

Also at Claddach this year I have seen my first lapwing chicks in over ten years. The soggy cloudy summer appears to suit the waders well.  Between the showers today the sun was shining enough to remind us it is June. 

This morning, a ring-tailed hen harrier was quartering the boggy area about Claddach Loch.  Over near the airport at the old runway, Shona-Isla spotted a male hen harrier.  Gary reported an adult great spotted woodpecker with a juvenile in flight towards the woods by Ballygrant Inn.

Mary


No comments: