Sunday 29 March 2020

Sunday 29th March

Mary Redman was in touch by e mail  this morning...
"Saw an other 2 Wheatears yesterday, and she also saw  pheasant hen out the window this morning. It's lovely weather but freezing! My first sheep lambed, triplets! Spring must be here..."

Malcolm had also been in touch today..
"A local, who knows their birds but wouldn't describe themselves as a birder, has just told me of a male Marsh Harrier seen this morning flying below Sunderland. The description was fine - I was phoned for confirmation which I was happy to give. A pretty good date.
This good weather should make the geese think of departing, but the northerly wind may well put them off for at least a few more days. It would be truly glorious without the frost at night."

Mandy was in touch this afternoon with the following birds... Mandy lives in a cottage with spectacular views down over Loch Gorm.
"I've just seen a Redwing in my garden! It scuttled through the old tree near my shed and then just sat and looked at me! Amazing.
The other morning I did a sunrise walk down the track, 'dawn chorus' included white fronts, barnies and greylags flying over, ravens, skylarks, meadow pipits, pied wagtail, wren, dunnock, wheatear! Then in my garden, great tit, blue tit, goldfinch, sparrows, chaffinches, thrush, blackbird. Lovely"

Karen Graham who is a regular visitor to Islay sent some sightings of birds seen lately in her garden in Bearsden..
"A great pick you up at times like this. A beautiful male bullfinch in full colour plumage on seed feeder. Must have a nest nearby. Regulars are all tits including a pair of long tails, sparrows, dunnocks, robins, starlings, blackbirds, wood pigeons, feral pigeons, Greater spotted Woodpeckers, few chaffinch and no goldfinches or Siskins which were present at end of February. She also had seen 2 Magpies"

No comments: