Saturday 28 March 2020

Saturday 28th March

Peter was in touch, by email,  earlier on with the following statement..
"From my self-isolation in Bruichladdich (a precaution as I’ve come in from Tanzania NOT because I’ve got the lurgy!) I noted a Gannet in Loch Indaal. There have been some offshore I believe, but this may be the first of the season coming up into the Loch?"

Good friend, Armin Grewe who is usually over staying on Islay for Walkislay and other times on   holiday later on every year sent through some birds which he has been spotting while out for a walk close to Aldermanstone in Berkshire...

"This morning I spotted six Herons in a flooded field near the end of my walking route along the canal. I think that's largest number of Herons I've seen together so far, usually only see one or maximum 2-3. Oh, and in the background a Red Kite seemed to be chasing a smaller bird through some trees (unfortunately too far away to make out what the smaller bird was).

Yesterday I saw/heard three Jays. To be precise, I saw and heard one in a tree right above the towpath. And I could hear the other two calling, one on each side of the one I could see. One was somewhere on the other side of the canal, the other in the woods on the side of the towpath.

A few days ago I noticed a small volery (yes, I looked that up) of Long-tailed Tits, which is unusual, usually I only see Blue Tits and Great Tits along that stretch of the canal.

Quite a few Goldfinches about, which is nice as like their colours."


Before I forget, there will  NOT be a meeting of the BIRD NERDS this coming Tuesday, due to the Coronavirus. So, STAY SAFE, and sometime, we can all meet up again...

No comments: