Thursday 10 December 2009

Thurs 10th Dec

The weather has been kind to us over the last couple of days, no rain to speak of for a change, and last night when I had a look outside around 10pm, the stars all around were a sight to be seen. Our house is down in a hollow, there are no visible lights to be seen, hence no light pollution at all, perhaps Islay should think of the "Dark Skies" similar to what has happened in Galloway and link into it for Astronomy!
There were a few Fulmars in at the crag today, 8 Whooper Swans flew out and over the sea to Ireland and later on there was a small group of Rock Doves. I heard and saw my first Chough since returning home, so perhaps they have been elsewhere recently.
I read in the last edition of "The Eider" about Nuthatches being seen this year on mainland Argyll. It was of interest to me, as when we were away on holiday, we saw them in all 3 areas that we were in, Wood of Cree and Dalbeattie in Galloway, and also over in Galashiels in the Scottish Borders. I cannot recall seeing as many the last time we visited a few years ago.

No comments: