Sunday 15 October 2023

Sunday 15th October

News from the west of Islay: Mary Redman saw 5 Chough this morning at Currie Sands, and the Lesser Grey Shrike was seen (still at Sanaigmore) by Paul Disken and George Jackson. Paul Disken also spotted a hobby over Loch Gruinart and a Glaucous Gull of Ardnave Point this afternoon!

Further south, Ed Burrell found a painted lady at Balaclava. Mary-Ann was at Ardtalla beach today with Bob Brown and was treated to 3 Grey Herons, Mergansers, Mallards, Mute swans, Rock Pipit, 6+ Pied wagtail, Chaffinch, 50+ Redwing, Oyster catcher, Curlew 5+, Buzzard, Raven and a lovely male Common Hawker dragonfly. I headed up Beinn Bheigier this afternoon and was rewarded with a pair of Golden Eagles soaring at the top and a Peregrine whizzed passed me on the way down.

I realised I haven’t been following Peter’s lead and promoting a bird of the day, but maybe I’ll do a bird of the week instead. For me, it’s the humble Barnie. Since they arrived en masse on Monday they’ve transformed the island into a constant birdie bonanza and it’s great to have them back. For anyone with raised eyebrows, you can let me know when we have 15,760 Corncrake/Shrike/Red-Breasted Geese on the island and I might change my mind!

No comments: