Monday 17 January 2022

Monday 17 January

 A gift of sunshine and (relatively) warm weather today. Together with the snowdrop shoots appearing, you'd almost think it was spring...almost. Its only 3 weeks into 2022, best not get ahead of myself.

Easing myself back into the blog today with a bit of cut-and-paste from Steve Percival with some interesting information about a wandering Barnacle goose...

I think this could be called a clever goose. I think if I found myself in Spain for winter I might have stayed put too!

"NBH – Ecotone tag deployed in October 2020 on Islay. We obtained full winter movements across Islay. The spring migration track (for departure April 2021) was more patchy as the battery was fairly low before departure. However, we have a full migration track for the autumn migration (after a nice summer charging up). This bird never staged in Iceland, instead it appeared to be blown off course and missed Islay in the autumn. Instead it is currently in Spain. A track in December appeared to show the bird attempting a flight back towards Islay before returning to Spain where it appear to have remained according to its last GPS fix. "



I think this could be called a clever goose. I think if I found myself in Spain for winter I might have stayed put too!

No comments: