Monday 5 October 2020

Monday 5th October

It has been some day out here today, the wet weather has not deterred Dave Wood and his  team down on the reserve on the Oa as they have seen 7, yes, 7 Yellow browed Warblers. 

Peter also sent me through his take on the YBWs

"I was tipped off by Jim Dickson that Yellow-brows were flooding in to the Hebrides and that I should go out and look for one on Islay.

Yesterday (Sunday) I did just that by going all the way to Gortantaoid beyond Killinallan where I saw my first Islay YBW (and I think Islay's 4th record) a few years ago. I spent several hours there searching the likely spots but found nothing at all. Today, I received a note via RSPB that The Oa was "heaving" with YBWs - well at least 5, which more or less doubles the islands total in one go! I was just about to head off there to take a look when I thought "if the Oa has several, then surely the Rhinns must have some too?". Thus I selflessly decided to forego the certainty of watching "someone else's" birds on the Oa in order to find my own and contribute to the data pool.  Thus I spent several hours today searching as much suitable scrub, bushes and trees from Portnahaven up to Port Charlotte. Needless to say I found nothing other than my first Redwing of autumn and got soaked with rain in the process. Tomorrow, if the weather is OK I shall give in, go to The Oa and ask David Wood to show me a Yellow-browed Warbler!"

Yesterday, visiting birder Jacqui Relph, a visitor for the week, also saw a White Tailed Eagle at Loch Indaal. It sat on the wreck for a while before it scared the geese! 

Peter Gill, yesterday, had a Redwing close to Sunderland Farm, and then he had a Barn Owl out on the wing in the car headlights, over towards Gruinart. This morning Peter had the Wt Eagle down at the top of Loch Indaal. Down on the Oa, he saw a Hen Harrier, and also soon afterwards, a Kestrel was seen close to Kinnabus where he saw a flock of  present, Along towards Kintra, a Merlin flew along in front of them.

 George E Jackson e mailed his birds at lunchtime, down at Machir Bay there was a Grey wagtail. where the northerly burn comes out of the dunes - first one I've seen down there. Also a couple of Stonechats and two pairs of Choughs; on the grass fields alongside the road were at least 4 Rooks with the crows.


No comments: