Sunday 14 April 2024

 Sunday 14th April

I would first like to apologise to Linden Kingston for describing him yesterday as a visitor. He isn't, having come to Islay to work for the RSPB. Enjoy your time here, Linden, as I'm sure you will. It's quite difficult for birders not to.

With some of the birders who contributed so much last week having belatedly been able to leave the island, the flow of information has subsided a little, but David D saw a Common Sandpiper at Seal Bay and heard a Chiffchaff singing there at about midday, while Frank Cavanagh saw two Common Sandpipers at Loch Ballygrant later in the afternoon. Gary saw a Gannet off Bruichladdich pier, which I confess I didn't see, my excuse being that my computer monitor obscures some of my view of the sea! Finally, Linden counted no less than 64 Black-tailed Godwits (aka Blackwits) from the south hide at Gruinart. These will presumably be on their way to Iceland for the summer.

What better Gordon Langsbury photograph to post than this one of Blackwits.


 

No comments: