Saturday 3 June 2023

Saturday 3rd June

 A bit of sea mist persisted this morning but burnt off to further scorching weather and sunshine.

Reports of umpteen Cuckoos and the odd Chiffchaff from over Port Ellen and Kildalton way and I did a walk down to the coast through Glenastle on The Oa. Both I and David Dinsley checked the field where the Turtle Dove was seen yesterday, but it seems to have moved on.

I think I can award myself with BOTD today. I pulled up onto the grassy fields at Carnain to eat an ice cream when a family of Water Rails crossed from one wet bit of dense cover to another. 5 gorgeous little black balls of fluff followed two parent birds and gave some brilliant, protracted views. So rare to see Water Rails at any time - a family group was very special - and in the middle of a hot afternoon - Magic!

No comments: