Wednesday 26 January 2022

Wednesday 26 January



Thought it felt a bit colder today! Snow on the Paps of Jura, taken today by Duncan MacNeil on the FB page 'Images of Islay'.  I must take a drive up to see it, I don't think I've turned left at Bridgend since October.

Visitor Roger R. located both the cackling goose and the elusive red-breasted goose among the mobile flock 2000 or so barnacle geese at head of Loch Indaal. He also spotted an Iceland gull in the same area.

Alison and Nick braved the wet weather today on a visit to RSPB Loch Gruinart. From the south hide, 3 WTE 'loafing about'. They were lucky enough to see a young WTE attempt a wigeon, dropping it in the effort. Other highlights were one greenshank, both bar and black-tailed godwit, and 4 bullfinch in the woodland trail.

On my drive up to Port Charlotte from the car window I spotted 2 WTE over the woods at Wester Ellister, and a jack snipe in a lay-by near the farm at Octofad, spooked by my driving. Back on the croft above Currie Sands, a ring-tailed hen harrier hunting along the coastline.

Thank you for the contributions.



No comments: